Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fiendishly Good Cupcakes!



















I'll add notes later (hectic day!), but I wanted to post photos of the pumpkin spice cupcakes I baked along with MSC. I opted not to do the marzipan pumpkin garnishes because spiders, bats, and skulls seemed like a fun Halloween-inspired substitution! I also added about 1/3 cup of chocolate chips... something about spicy pumpkin just begs for chocolate.





Darling cupcake liners from Martha Stewart at Michael's craft store! (You can't see it, but they have little witches on the bottom of some and owls on others.)
















A step not in Martha's recipe: Wash, rinse, and drain the spooky rings.


10/18/09 Adding On a Few More Thoughts

These cupcakes were so delicious and moist when I ate one warm without the cream cheese frosting, that I just had to make a second batch (a half batch, actually) as "muffins" this morning when I had family over for brunch. The sprinkling of chocolate chips I added to the recipe gave the lightest touch of sweetness, no cream cheese frosting necessary. I will definitely make these again as muffins-- sooooo warm and fragrant on a cold fall morning!

La musique du jour...
Music for a Fall Brunch:

13 comments:

Soy*Baby said...

Great decorations. I was thinking bats would be cute. Glad you had fun with these and enjoyed them. Thanks for baking along with me this month.

k.a.r.e.n said...

Great idea! Happy Halloween!

Judy said...

so cute! love the decorations! =)

betty geek said...

I love the Halloween-themed spirit! Awesome cupcakes!

Thanks for baking along with us!

Hindy said...

It's nice to hear that you liked them so much that you made them twice. Your decorations are beautiful! Your scary cat box is a lovely touch. And thanks for reminding everyone to wash their decorations.

Unknown said...

Love the decorations - especially the shot of the spider rings draining in the colander! Glad to spread the Fancy Flours love...their catalogs have tons of tempting stuff.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Love the look of your cupcakes. You are creative.

I don't think they need frosting at all. They were fine plain, just not as pretty. I would make them as muffins also and I love adding chocolate chips. My class would probably like that better.

Bella Baker said...

Your cupcakes look great!!! So festive and I love those liners!! I agree, these were delicious as muffins too! Great job!

Monica Lifferth said...

Great idea on the spiders. They are adorable. I love your dog by the way. Seriously cute. :)

Megan said...

I think your advice on washing the rings was marvelous!

Add chocolate chips was a smashing idea - wish I'd thought of it!

And your dog! Too cute....

Jennifer said...

Glad you loved these as much as I did, I will definitely be making these again!

Julie said...

Your cupcakes are so cute! Love the spider rings.

Cindy said...

Chocolate chips would indeed make a great addition to this cuppie. Love the deco!