
Today was the first baking session of the Martha Stewart Cupcakes (MSC) Club, organized by Betty at Eat My Cupcake! Our recipe du jour was Chocolate Salted-Caramel Mini Cupcakes on p. 148 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes. The finished cupcakes look gorgeous in the book, but I decided to tweak it a bit so as to avoid caramel. I know, I know, caramel is beloved by everyone, but I'm just not very fond of it unless it's covering an apple on a stick and eaten at an apple orchard surrounded by brightly colored fall leaves.
Lucky for me the cupcake club "rules" emphasize creativity and fun over recipe fidelity, so I just substituted a black raspberry filling (yum!) for the caramel, put a pinch of sea salt in the frosting to give more depth to the chocolate flavor, added an almond sliver garnish, and then sprinkled the frosted cupcakes with sugar crystals instead of fleur de sel.
The recipe is straight-forward and simple, even for a novice like me, with only one semi-specialty ingredient. As much as I adore Martha (and adore her I do!), I sometimes get frustrated with her recipes that require obscure ingredients I have to: a) hunt down by going to three different gourmet food stores; b) pay a shocking amount of money for; and c) will never use for another recipe, so they essentially go to waste in my cupboard. The only item I had to hunt a little bit for the cupcakes was the Dutch-process cocoa powder, but I found Droste brand at the second store I tried. (I've always had a fondness for Droste cocoa because my grandfather emigrated from the Netherlands when he was a young man. My sister and I both have antique Droste tins in our kitchens.)
For these cupcakes I decided to try mini nut cups instead of liners in muffin tins, an idea I loved from chockylit's blog, Cupcake Bakeshop . I heeded her advice and made sure to fill the cups no more than halfway... err... well, at least I got it right on most of the cupcakes!
Is there anything more pathetic looking than a mini cupcake that has overflowed and then sunken in on itself-- poor little thing. The rest of the cupcakes turned out moist and rich, with just the right amount of chocolatey goodness that's dark instead of being too sweet. (Below, with the tops scooped out to make room for black raspberry filling...)
Cupcakes = success. Filling = success. Frosting = ... I have no idea where I went wrong!! I couldn't get the frosting to firm up, except if I chilled it. And since I wanted to be able to serve the cupcakes at room temperature and have the frosting hold its fun swirls, I really didn't know what to do except to use more confectioner's sugar. Did anyone else have this problem? Doesn't 3/4 cup of confectioner's sugar seem pretty inadequate for 2 1/4 cups butter and the melted and cooled chocolate?? Well, I couldn't figure it out. So my frosting ended up being lighter in color and fluffier than I'm sure Martha intended, and it certainly didn't have the deep, glossy sheen of hers in the book. In fact, my frosting had pretty much the taste, texture, and color of the classic recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. Ah well, I'll have to save mastering Martha's glossy frosting for another baking adventure!
La musique du jour...
Since NPR covered the 40th anniversary of Woodstock on and off all day, my music for baking cupcakes was: "Dance to the Music" by Sly & the Family Stone and "A Little Help from My Friends" performed by Joe Cocker. Perhaps not your usual cupcake baking music... but it had me shaking my business in the kitchen today!
12 comments:
Great photos! Your cupcakes turned out beautifully. I had that same experience with the icing and just kept adding sugar until it came together.
Wow, It looked very very nice. I did the same, added sugar and also put it into the fridge.
The cupcakes came out beautifully. I love the ribbon across the nut cups aka liners.
The black raspberry jelly seemed like a great idea!
Thanks!
Nina, jelly would probably work great. I used homemade black raspberry preserves. I'm a sucker for anything raspberry! :-)
LOVE the cups! I have some, but have never used them yet. They look fantastic - and yes, I think I did add a little bit more icing sugar to the frosting, BUT - the photographed cupcakes were previously refrigerated. It was a hot day here, and I just stuck 3 in the fridge to cool - so I could get a good picture (without them melting all over the place). Great frosting, but it doesn't like heat!
How creative using those little cups and then putting the ribbons on them! Very fun to get new ideas. Your cupcakes look lovely.
Ha, I had to hunt for the Dutch-process cocoa as well but I think it was worth it. :)
Your cupcakes are so nicely presented, I haven't used those liners for baking, now I need to get some.
In agreement on the icing. I was disappointed with the outcome of the recipe which I halved. It was really loose and my butter wasn't even close to room temp. rather it was cold from the frig. I just beat the fool out of it with a hand mixer since it was such a small amount. I'll certainly use a different formula if I make again. cupcakes were pretty good though very sweet. I'm a fan of dark chocolate. Thanks for stopping by and its fun to make new friends.
AmyRuth
What terrific presentation! The ribbons are so cute! I love your idea to use black raspberry for the filling - that sounds like a delicious variation. I enjoyed these, though they were quite rich!
Wow, your cupcakes look great!
As for as the frosting, I am not a fan of buttercream, but understand that it is sometimes a pairing necessity for most cupcakes, so I do make it. For this recipe, I had to cream it for 8-10 minutes, and then put it in the fridge for piping consistency.
I love the chocolate cupcake itself though. Darn good and will probably make again without the caramel.
Thanks so much for baking along with me this month!
Your blog is awesome and I look forward to following you on future cupcake adventures!
Who doesn't love cupcakes, right?! :)
Happy Baking!
Love your cupcakes & blog!
Love your cakestand, your cupcakes look absolutely amazing!!
Those are sooo cute. And they look delicious.
Post a Comment