Monday, August 3, 2009

"This is just to say..."



















I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

-William Carlos Williams


I adore plums. But I'm not talking about those hard as stones, scentless, "plums" that are piled sadly on produce tables in supermarkets year-round. No, I'm talking fresh picked plums that have ripened on tree branches to the point that eating them is a juice-running-through-your-fingers-and-down-your-arms-oh-my-god-this-is-so-good-slurp-yummmmm experience. I'm talking the real thing. And since I live in Michigan, this means heavenly plums, the kind William Carlos Williams knew a thing or two about, are really only available for a short window of time each summer. So imagine my delight in bringing home from the grocers a small paper sack of tree-ripened plums-- heavenly!

Breakfast on the patio this morning-- sliced fresh plums, fresh blueberries, lime yogurt... "so sweet and so cold" Miam miam!

No comments: